A special program for healthcare professionals who want to advance their communication skills or get published
This unique 3-day course empowers physicians, psychologists, and other healthcare professionals to expand their visibility and influence in healthcare through traditional and new media. As an attendee, you will learn how to make the most of print, live, and online communication channels, and sharpen your ability to market yourself and your body of work. Individual sessions focus on:
- Best practices for connecting the public with your ideas and insights
- Getting your book published in 2020: new challenges and options
- Lectures and workshops to improve your writing and your "elevator" or book pitch
- Personalized instruction from top-tier writing coaches, editors, and literary agents
- Social media: introductory and advanced topics
- Self-publishing books, blogs, and websites
- Strategies for impacting national and international healthcare audiences
- Workshops to assist in the development of memoirs and narrative nonfiction
- Training on giving interviews and how to host your own podcast
On-Site Agents, Publishers and Editors
At this unique program, you can have substantial one-on-one time with agents and acquisitions editors who are actively looking for healthcare authors. Meet them at the networking tables, and talk to them throughout the conference to discuss your ideas as they evolve.
In addition to these healthcare publishing professionals, the program faculty includes physicians who are regularly published, experts in public speaking, and nationally recognized coaches in scientific writing.
Reasons to Attend in 2020
All attendees take home tools and techniques to publish in various venues, including, but not limited to: books, magazine and newspaper articles, blogs, patient brochures, newsletters, mobile apps, and social media. In addition, you will:
- Improve and expand your writing and communication skills
- Get ideas to reframe your professional life
- Make invaluable contacts with editors, writing coaches, and literary agents
- Receive expert guidance (and practice time) to hone your “elevator pitch”
- Learn about how to productize your intellectual property
- Hear how to secure and prepare for speaking engagements on television, radio, podcasts, and at live events
- Have fun and meet wonderful colleagues who share your creative energy
Customize Your Learning Experience
You may also customize your learning experience by attending optional workshops led by healthcare publishing experts who will critique your pre-existing unpublished works, your ideas for new works, and/or writing that you do in class. These workshops represent a rare opportunity to learn and get input from the people who decide every day what gets published and what does not for the healthcare arena.
Over the years that Harvard Medical School has offered this CME course, it has altered the trajectory of many of its attendees’ careers. Past attendees report that the education they received and the contacts they made have been life changing.